How to Check Docker Desktop and Docker Engine Versions
( 19 Articles)
This concise article shows you how to check your Docker Desktop and Docker Engine versions (note that they are different numbers). Without any further ado (like talking about the history of the universe or why you should use Docker), let go to the point.
Checking Docker Engine Version
You can determine your docker engine version by using the command line or using GUI (graphical user interface).
Using Command Line
1. Open your terminal and execute the following command:
2. You will get results as follows (besides the Docker engine version, there are some useful information):
This approach is only available if you have Docker Desktop installed.
1. In your Docker dashboard, click on the gear icon to go to Settings area:
2. Select Docker Engine from the left-hand sidebar and you will see the version number:
Checking Docker Desktop Version
For Mac Users
1. Click on Docker Desktop and select About Docker Desktop from the drop-down menu:
2. The version of your Docker Desktop app will show up within a dialog like this:
For Windows Users
1. Right-click on the Docker icon from your system tray (that locates in the bottom-right corner of your screen):
2. Select About Docker Desktop from the menu:
ANd you will get what you want.
You’ve learned how to discover your Docker Desktop and Docker Engine versions. If you would like to explore more tips and tricks about this awesome technology, take a look at the following articles:
- Using Docker Compose to speed up WordPress development
- Limit resources consumed by Docker Desktop
- Docker build with custom Dockerfile name
- How to enable Kubernetes in Docker Desktop
- How to reset Docker Desktop
You can also check out our Docker category page for the latest tutorials and examples.